Tuesday 17 July 2012

Apple and strawberry crumble

I was pottering in the kitchen this afternoon, I had an array of items that needed using up today (and some dried fruit that needed using last month!) so I kept working at it until they were all used up.
The list included a gammon joint, 5 apples, a nectarine, dried fruit and asparagus.
I made gammon slow cooked in stock with apple halves, a nectarine and mango sauce to accompany it, I am soaking the dried fruits to make a couple of tea loaves tomorrow, steamed green veg and an apple and strawberry crumble. Phew, all done.

The crumble was a last minute thing, as the apples were eating ones, not cooking ones and I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I needn't have worried, my crumble-monster had 3rds even after a massive main course.


Ingredients

4 apples, cored, peeled and cut into chunks
6 large strawberries cut into quarters
A little brown sugar and a little maple syrup (would have been all syrup, but I ran out)
Plain flour
Demerara sugar
Porridge oats
Soya margarine

Method

Cook the apples up with the syrup and a little water until they soften.
In a mixing bowl add equal quantities of flour, sugar and margarine and a couple of tbsp of oats and mix to make a crumble topping. It should be quite coarse.
Place the strawberries in a dish and add the cooked apples but not any juice/syrup.
Sprinkle the crumble on top and cook for about 1/2 hour at 180c.

No comments:

Post a Comment