Thursday 26 July 2012

Experimenting with digestive biscuits

I saw a recipe the other day (via Ree Drummond) for graham cracker chocolate chip muffins, and was intrigued. They looked absolutely delicious,  but why can't you get graham crackers in the UK? My research determined that the closest thing is a digestive biscuit, although it is thicker, but to use as crumbs would do just fine. I haven't bought sweet biscuits for a while, so was pleased to see that Sainsbury's own brand digestives were dairy-free. Hooray!

Today, I decided to make a quick pudding using some of the biscuits. It was a real store-cupboard wonder - tinned peach and digestive crumble:

Method

Drain a tin of peach slices and place in a suitably sized dish, so they easily cover the bottom.
In a bowl, crush 8 digestive biscuits and rub 1tbsp soya margarine into the crumbs.
Pour the crumbs on top and bake at 180c for about 15 - 20 minutes.


We decided that there was far too much crumble (I actually used 10 biscuits) but it was delicious with dairy-free vanilla ice-cream. It kind of reminded me of cheesecake because of the digestive biscuit crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment