Sunday 25 November 2012

Mulling spice cake

I had a thought, would it be possible to make a cake that replicates mulled wine? I love mulled wine so today I had a go at making something that, while not quite a mulled wine cake, is still pretty tasty. I based it on the orange and poppyseed cake, mainly because it uses milk, which is the key to getting the flavours into the cake.

Ingredients

120ml sweetened soya milk
170g caster sugar
2 eggs
170g self raising flour
140g soya margarine
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Method

In a small saucepan, add the nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon to the soya milk. Warm for about 1/2 hour without letting it boil, then allow to cool.
Weigh out all the rest of the ingredients, place in a large bowl with the eggs, zests and finally add the strained soya milk.
Use an electric whisk to blend all the ingredients to make a smooth, soft batter.
Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake at 180c for about 50 minutes, until a skewer pushed into the top of the cake comes out clean.
Cool in the tin.

I think I need to do more with this cake, but I'm not sure what at the moment. It should have a syrup, I think, like a lemon drizzle cake. What I will try is to reduce down some mulled wine and sugar to make a syrup, then drizzle that on it.

2 comments:

  1. I made a syrup to pour over. Juice of a lemon, juice of an orange, same volume again of red wine, 3 tbsp vanilla sugar, sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon and a few cloves. Heated it for a bit to get the flavour from the cloves, then strained and reduced to a sticky syrup. Poured it over the cake and although it is delicious, it looks a bit rubbish with the dark red soaked in on the top. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the cake again, but this time I made double the quantity of cake mix and made it in my 10" square tin. Before putting the cake mix into the lined tin, I put a jar of home made spiced plum jam in the bottom. It took about an hour to cook, cooled in the tin, then I upended it onto a plate and let the extra syrup from the jam drip down the edges.

    ReplyDelete